I’m 33, so when I saw this article I wanted to see how I measured up to this list, granted that I have a few more years under my belt to know and have these things.
In 1997 Glamour magazine published the story “30 Things Every Woman Should Have And Should Know by 30”. Apparently this list was incredibly popular and a book was created around it that featured essays from famous women around the items on the list.
The book is being released today so I wanted to see how my 30 year old plus life stacked up. I’m a 26 1/2 out of 30. Click here to read the list and see how many things you know and have.
Now that you know I am 26 1/2 out of 30, let me fill you in on what I don’t know or have:
- A decent piece of furniture not previously owned by anyone else in your family. Here is my deal, I’m not paying full price for a “decent” piece of furniture when I can get a previously owned “decent” piece of furniture. I have better things to spend that extra $400 on, like my kids! These days people take good care of their belongings and just don’t want them anymore…score! I’m not sweating this one at all!
- The realization that you are actually going to have an old age — and some money set aside to help fund it. I applaud you if you are 30 years old and already set for retirement. I am no where near there! I’m willing to bet that these days by the time you are are 30 you have probably only worked for a few years and have college loans out the you-know-what. Or maybe I am just assuming everyone is like me. Don’t be like me, find a job, pay those loans and live like a wild child by the time you are 60!
- Something ridiculously expensive that you bought for yourself, just because you deserve it. This one is going to be a half point. When I was young and stupid, I saved enough money to buy a brand new car. Where is that car now? I don’t own it, I will tell you that much. $15,000 give or take a few dollars down the drain. My dad tried to talk me out of it but I had the money and of course I knew everything at the ripe age of 21. SMH!!! So this is a half because I had it and now it’s gone…
- The names of the secretary of state, your great-grandmothers, and the best tailor in town. Um, one out of three ain’t bad? Why in the world would I know the Secretary of State? Wait, should I and I am just really unrefined? Haha, don’t hate on me if I should have this name in my back pocket! Also, is there such a thing as the best tailor in town? We aren’t living in Mayberry! My great-grandmothers are Pauline, Gladys, Kitty and Lois. Booyah!
- Why they say life begins at 30. Sorry, I am contesting this one. Life begins whenever you decide it does. I never sat around and waited to turn 30 before deciding, oh yeah, this is when life really begins. No! I lived it up in my 20’s and plan to do the same as I continue to get older. I was restrained by parental guidelines when I was under 20 so yeah, life did not begin until I moved out of the house.
What do you think about this list? Are some things unrealistic? Or are you a perfect 30 and you think the list is spot on?
Let’s make our own list of things you should know and have by 30…from my experiences at life here is one thing each of something you should have and know by 30. Have: Survival skills. I’m not talking living in the wild and coming out alive. I’m talking when you hit a low point how to pick yourself up, dust yourself off and try again, but wiser this time. Know: How to balance a checkbook! Can I tell you that I still have trouble doing this? I know my bank loves me and all my fees but honing my simple math skills would be great!
What would you add to the list? Add them in the comments below and let’s see what life lessons we come up with for those who will be turning 30 soon!